Friday, June 25, 2010

Sycamore Trees, or the Time I Cried All Through Act 2


                I have been such a slacker about my blog!  It’s that whole full time job, full time student, no-one-reads-the-blog-anyway mentality.  Nonetheless, I saw a great show that I need to talk about.  It’s a world premiere musical called Sycamore Trees, and I saw it at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA.  It’s Ricky Ian Gordon’s autobiographical show, starring a slew of Broadway folks, including three-time Tony Award nominee, Marc Kudisch.  At first, I was a little skeptical of such a serious musical, since it’s almost impossible to set a somber tone in a musical.  But, I think they pulled it off.  The acting was great (how could it not be, with such high-caliber actors?!), and I was so moved that I spent nearly all of the second act in tears.  When Andrew’s dad, played by Marc Kudisch said “my son is brave,” that just sent me into a whole new strata of emotion.  It was so cool to be in such a small performance space with such dynamite talent.  Oh, and the guy who played The Man/David was mega-handsome, just sayin’.
                I don’t know what’s next for this show, but I hope it is able to garner a performance venue in New York and that it achieves great success.  I think it has the potential to be great, but I think people might be skeptical at first, like I was.  Around intermission, I was wondering what the point of the show was, what I was supposed to take from it.  By the end of the show, however, I came to the realization that telling the story of your life isn’t (and probably can’t be) about one solitary message, and has to be presented and viewed holistically.  It’s about life and the appreciation of it and the people who are along for the journey.  It’s sad, it’s funny, it’s moving.  If you get a chance, you definitely should check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment