Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Color Purple was awesome - but please get to the theater on time!

         Last week, I saw the non-equity national tour of The Color Purple. I loved it, but I have to say it was surprisingly uplifting. I got the book at the library, and I didn’t have time to finish it before seeing the show, but based on what I read, I was expecting a major downer. I was pleasantly surprised by the way the show was able to take such heavy subject matter and create a show which left the audience with a feeling of joy and gratitude.
       Also, I thought the music was super catchy. I love the southern gospel feel of the big company numbers. Maybe it’s because I live in the south or maybe it’s because that gospel feel just seems so genuine, but I’m hooked. The Original Broadway Cast album is now on my wish list. I need that on my ipod, stat!
       Unfortunately for the actors, who did a fantastic job, the thing I remember most about the night is the ridiculous amount of people who showed up late to the show. It makes me so mad! I am always early to everything, but I make a particular effort to get to the theater early for several reasons. I don’t like to miss any of the show, and I don’t want to ruin the show for the other people. It’s not a movie, people! Get there on time! And while I’m at it, I think I also need to remind the world that it is not appropriate to talk full-volume to the person next to you during a live theater performance. I didn’t pay all this money to hear you! Phew! Rant over. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment