Thursday, May 13, 2010

[title of show] Rocked My World Harder Than Monkeys Driving Speedboats


                Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness.  I saw [title of show] this past weekend at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia and it was amazing!  There are no words to describe how brilliant and hilarious the show is.  I love everything about it, and I’ve been quoting it to the friends with whom I saw the show ever since curtain call (I would just like to say that me going out of my way not to end my clause in a preposition is just for Hunter Bell).
                As a huge fan of the broadway.com web series Side by Side by Susan Blackwell, I really enjoyed the “classic Susan” moments throughout the show.  My friend and I kept saying things like “that’s so Susan!” and “Susan would totally do that!”  It’s so interesting to see a show in which the creators created characters which were themselves.  I know that was a confusing statement, but let me put it this way: when Sondheim wrote the brilliant Sweeney Todd, he was not creating a character which was Steven Sondheim.  You know what I mean?  Hunter, Jeff, Heidi, and Susan were literally putting themselves into the show.  And that’s kinda what makes it brilliant.  I, personally, think a show about me would either flop majorly or be a surprise hit – but I don’t think I would ever have the confidence to play me night after night and then believe in it so much to make it a Broadway hit.  I mean, it’s hard to say “this is really me on stage, and it’s worthy of Broadway.”  Mega kudos to the original [title of show] four for having that confidence in themselves.
                My favorite numbers in the show were “Monkeys and Playbills” and “Part of it All.”  They are amazing and hilarious and wonderful.  I think the most phenomenal thing about [title of show] is how often it is funny and poignant at the same time.  If you get the chance, go see it!  I’m definitely going to try to see it again before it closes at the Signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment