Thursday, April 5, 2012

Resurrecting a Flop: Carrie


                 After a Sunday matinee performance of Once, we headed downtown to Christopher Street for an evening performance of MCCTheater’s Carrie at the Lucille Lortel Theatre.  I managed to convince my hesitant friend to see it by insisting that Marin Mazzie is simply the best, and that there were some folks from the Spring Awakening tour who I loved and knew to be crazy talented.  Thankfully, he agreed, because it turned out to be a fantastic night of theatre.
                The Lortel was dim, but not dark, as we entered, and the set was appropriately creepy.  They did a good job of setting up the vibe for the show.  I’m not really into horror movies (as I am the jumpiest person on the planet), but I saw the film Carrie some years ago, and I felt like I knew sort of what to expect.  It wasn’t scary in the way that a haunted house is scary – nothing jumping out at unsuspecting patrons, but it was intense and suspenseful.
                So, here’s what I liked: the set, the music, the cast.  The set was set up in such a way that it could go from one place to another without a hitch – the use of projection was inspired and not over-the-top.  The music was, as we discussed after the show, appropriate for a high school musical without being High School Musical.  The pop-influenced songs were perfect for the teenage characters.  The casting was spot-on, with the possible exception of one or two gentlemen clearly being too old to play high school students (I’m classy, so I’m not naming names).  I especially loved Christy Altomare as Sue – she brought it from start to finish, and she was just so kind and gracious at the stage door.  Of course, I loved Marin, but I knew I would before I even got to my seat.  Her voice absolutely filled that small theatre.  Molly Ranson did an excellent job of being the quirky Carrie, and was convincingly timid.  I think it was the little things – her eyes darting, her lips pulled in – that truly made the character convincing.  The ensemble cast did a great job of capturing the spirit of high school, and each “minor” character was well-defined and funny.
                As for what I didn’t like?  I’m having trouble coming up with anything.  I know that’s a total cop-out, but I really enjoyed the show.  And this isn’t the New York Times, so I don’t feel too terrible about writing a one-sided review.
                It’s unfortunate that MCC Theater had to scale back their extension for Carrie, because more people need to see it.  I understand why it might be a hard sell, particularly since the show lasted only five performances on Broadway in the 1980s.  However, this isn’t that Carrie.  I mean, it is, but it’s updated for a contemporary audience, and it, frankly, rocks.  Also, whichever gods are responsible for such things, I’m ready and willing to sacrifice my left hand for a cast recording.
                Oh, I almost forgot to share this awesome story with you:  after the show, we were headed down Christopher Street to meet a friend at a bar, and we realize that we had been walking for several blocks right behind Brian Stokes Mitchell!  He came to the show to see Marin, and we happened to be walking in the same direction.  Only in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment