Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ginger ale and drag queens - my Priscilla adventure!

                 Oh my God.  I am so crazy behind on my blogging.  I’m blogging mid-June about a show I saw in mid-May.  It’s a problem.  I don’t even have a good excuse.  The real, true, honest reason for my lapse in blogging is that I’ve been hopelessly addicted to Criminal Minds and I’ve been spending all my free time watching it.  That was embarrassing to admit, but now that it’s out in the open, I can get to what I really want to write about – Priscilla Queen of the Desert on Broadway.  This was the fifth show that my parents and I saw on our seven-show Broadway extravaganza, and it was amazing!
                Our seats at the beautiful Palace Theatre were in the front row of the mezzanine, and they were perfect seats.  The view was marvelous – I highly recommend those seats to anyone in the position to be picky about seat location.  When I got to my seat, I was really just glad to be there.  Earlier in the day, my dad and I got the brilliant idea to walk from our hotel on 55th and 7th all the way to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, many many blocks away.  It was a gross rainy day, and I happened to eat some noodles that didn’t agree with me, and we had to leave our tour early and hail a cab back to the hotel.  I wish I could have seen the rest of the tour of that awesome museum – something for my next trip to NYC.  Anyway, I got back to the hotel, loaded up on ibuprofen and pepto, drank my weight in ginger ale, and was feeling well enough to go to Priscilla.  I got some ginger ale in a Priscilla cup from the bar, and took my seat.  On that note, drinks and snacks at the Palace were a more reasonable price than some Broadway theaters.
                The show got underway and I was instantly in awe of the sheer glitz and fabulosity.  The men were gorgeous, the costumes were beautiful, and the music was uplifting.  My mom, in particular, was a huge fan.  During the curtain call, she was dancing and singing along.  My dad, who is extremely cool for a sixty-something straight man, who wasn’t for a second fazed when I told him we were seeing a show about three drag queens, enjoyed it, but I think he would have rather done without the foreskin humor and ping pong ball tricks.  Yet, all three of us agreed that the storyline of Tick and his son Benji was super touching, and we love it.  I also broke into tears when Nick Adams’s character Adam/Felicia cries on Bernadette’s (Tony Sheldon) shoulder.  Speaking of the actors – they were phenomenal!  I had seen Will Swenson in Hair, and it was really cool to see him doing equally good work in a very different kind of show.  Nick Adams absolutely rocked – and I especially enjoyed the fact that a high percentage of his costumes are, well, butt-less.  And Tony Sheldon was exquisite – so believable as a woman.  The entire cast, especially the hard-working ensemble, was phenomenal.
                Overall, I loved the show’s wonderful message of acceptance and being who you are, but I love even more that the message was delivered through high-energy disco numbers, brightly colored sets and costumes, and amazing talent.  I’ve been listening to the cast album a lot since seeing the show – my favorite track is “Color My World” – it’s so addicting!
                I was disappointed that I couldn’t go to the stage door after the performance, because I was still fighting off the nasty noodle-induced stomach bug, and had to get home for more ginger ale and a good night’s sleep – I guess I will just have to come back to New York, avoid sketchy restaurants, and see Priscilla again.  Who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment