Sunday, April 3, 2011

Broadway Royalty, Here in Raleigh - Idina Menzel and the NC Symphony

                 A few weeks ago, my friend Brandon asked me if I wanted to go with him to see Idina Menzel in concert with the North Carolina Symphony here in Raleigh.  Clearly, I said yes.  I saw Idina at Wolf Trap last summer in concert with Marvin Hamlisch and the National Symphony Orchestra.  She was so good there, and the Meymandi Concert Hall in Raleigh is a much more intimate venue than Wolf Trap, so I knew it would be awesome.  I saw Amadeus there recently, so I knew it was the ideal location for a symphony performance.  Plus, Idina is pretty much Broadway royalty – everybody who knows anything about musical theater knows Idina Menzel.
                I think I should mention before I go any further that, while I am certainly a big fan of Idina Menzel, I don’t think anyone is as enthusiastic of a fan as Brandon.  Our seats were in the mezzanine, and we had a really good view in a great venue.  Brandon started freaking out pre-show, and I’m pretty sure that he didn’t stop until hours afterward.  I admit, we were both pretty stoked to see her, and to know that she was in the building.  Highlights included “Poker Face,” joining in as they whole symphony hall sang “No Day But Today,” and hearing a snippet of “Over the Moon.”  She even sang “In Cyberland, we only drink…” and turned her microphone to the audience for us to complete the line.  I’m pretty sure the two of us were the loudest ones, yelling “DIET COKE!”
                What I love the most about seeing Idina Menzel in concert is that you get a mix of amazing music and great stories.  The audience really feels like they get to know her as a performer and a person.  Her anecdotes about her family are great, and I love that she opens a window into her life.  She also knows what the fans want to hear.  She sings stuff that she’s chosen and keeps the fans happy.  She knows that if she didn’t sing something from Rent and “Defying Gravity,” the crowd would be disappointed.  But she also throws in some unexpected gems – from The Wild Party, Cole Porter (mashed-up with The Police… who knew?), and Finian’s Rainbow.
                Idina was so gracious, and came out and signed autographs after the show (by the way, she’s taller than I thought she’d be).  She couldn’t take pictures, which was understandable, since she had to get up early the next day and it was already late.  It was so cool of her to even come out the stage door at all, something performers aren’t actually obligated to do.  I was a little concerned by some fans who I think got overwhelmed with excitement and were desperate for pictures – it’s easy to forget that even Broadway royalty need sleep, and probably don’t like camera flashes going off in their face all the time.  However, Idina was so gracious, and I really appreciated that she signed my program.  She even came prepared with her own sharpies – both black and silver!
                So, now I’ve seen Idina Menzel live twice.  My conclusion is that any time she comes to a venue near me in the future, I’m so there.  I love the shows she puts on, and seeing her live is such an amazing treat for Broadway addicts like myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment