Friday, February 25, 2011

Pondering Life and Death at Triad Stage


                It’s no secret that I love Triad Stage.  They consistently put on high-quality theater, and my most recent visit to Greensboro proved no different.  I went this past weekend to see The Sunset Limited, a Cormac McCarthy play, and the talkback after.  It was great.  Also, having season tickets to Triad Stage is a great excuse for me to visit my best friend, who lives in Greensboro.
                I think it’s time you knew about the thing that really gets under my skin.  My secret pet peeve is when actors pretend to eat and drink while on stage.  I can’t stand it when I know that there’s not actually any coffee in their mugs or soup in their bowls.  It bothers me to no end.  I realize that I shouldn’t let it get to me, but I do.  I really do.  That being said, I have to hand it to Triad Stage for avoiding committing this faux pas.  The thing I perhaps loved the most about the show was that the kitchen on stage was a working kitchen, the characters actually made and drank real coffee, and cooked and ate real food.  Thank you!  I realize that this may seem small, but to me, it’s important.
                So, the show was interesting.  I don’t have a lot of insight this time into the subtext of the play – I think it pretty much speaks for itself.  I have a very firm opinion about what happens in the moments following the conclusion of the play, but I don’t want to ruin it for anyone.  If you really want to know what I think about the matter, send me an email.
I think the way the actors brought the characters to life was phenomenal.  There was so much text for them to memorize, and very little in the way of movement about the stage.  With a two-character play, the chemistry between the two characters/actors is essential.  These characters were believable without being dull.  Bravo.
I absolutely loved the talkback – it really helped me wrap my head around the play and the production.  I recommend that anyone buying tickets to a Triad Stage show get tickets for the performance with the talkback.  You won’t be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment