Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The blizzard just got all sexypants

                 Okay, confession time: when I saw that Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson was going to close, I was on the brink of tears thinking that I would never be able to see it.  Cut to yesterday, just barely beating the snow into NYC, sitting in the orchestra at the matinee of that very show.
                Oh.  My.  God.  It was so freaking amazing.  I’m so ridiculously glad that I got the chance to come to NYC with one of my very best friends to see some of the best of Broadway.  This was only the fourth show I’ve actually seen on Broadway (the first three being Ragtime, Rent, and Hair).
                So, why was I so stoked by this show?  For one, the Broadway experience alone is unreal.  I loved going to the stage door and meeting the stars (including Ben Walker!).  Sitting in the orchestra in the intimate Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre among theater fans of all sorts was perfect.  The other thing which got me ridiculously stoked was the show itself.  I know it got plenty of awesome buzz, but I was desperate to see it for myself.  I was slightly worried because emo is so the opposite of my usual taste in music, but the songs in Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson are transcendent of categories, and are so damn catchy!
                Right when I walked in to the theatre, I was in awe.  The lighting design was spectacular, and there was a large animal hanging from the mezzanine!  I was immediately brought into the show by the red lights everywhere and the fact that there was no curtain, so I could take in the awesome set before the show began.
                I was a tad bit disappointed in the audience.  The show is so intelligently written and is woven with pop culture references.  Yet, I felt like sometimes I was the only one laughing.  For example, there’s a point in which Andrew Jackson tells Black Fox not to go chasing waterfalls, and to “stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to.”  I, of course, cracked up at the reference to the TLC song, but I didn’t hear many other chuckles from around the theater. 
            During the show, I couldn't help but love how the actors committed to every comedy bit, from extremely realistic deaths at the hands of invisible arrows to knowing exactly how long to hold a pause until it becomes funny again.  I thought their timing was impeccable and even though the characters are pretty out there, the commitment to each character made them real.
                We scoped out the theater before the performance, and located the stage door (which the Jacobs shares with two other theaters).  At the stage door, the cast was so gracious and kind enough to sign playbills and take pictures in the bitter cold.  We were wondering where all the women were, but we think at least one couldn’t come out because she remained on stage face-down after the curtain call, the victim of an invisible arrow.  She was probably still on stage, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment