Monday, October 25, 2010

The Musical Theater Junkie Takes in a Straight Play - and Loves It!


          I have a confession to make: it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a straight play.  The last one I saw was Twelfth Night over a year ago!  The last non-Shakespeare play I saw was Shaw’s Major Barbara several years ago at the Shakespeare Theatre Company in DC.  I’m not sure why it’s been so long.  I mean, clearly my passion is in musicals, but I love theater in all its forms.  For crying out loud, my senior seminar as an English major in college was restoration and 18th century British drama.  It had been far too long sing I partook of a straight play.
                Cut to yesterday, and me at the Sunday matinee of the Triad Stage’s production of Educating Rita.  There are three reasons why I decided to see this production:
1)      The Triad Stage was recently named by the American Theatre Wing as one of America’s top ten most promising regional theaters.  That’s no small feat!
2)      When I went to the Triad Stage website, there was a discount code on the front page for $10 of tickets to Educating Rita.  For someone in constant search of thrifty theater, that was the golden ticket.
3)      There was a talk-back after this performance with a professor from Wake Forest University, and I really miss the academic side of theater.
Not to mention, my best friend lives in Greensboro, so dinner with her would make the 90-minute drive each way all the more worthwhile.
                To quote Janice from Friends, “Oh. My. God.”  The play was brilliant!  I loved it!  Upon entering the theater, there’s a sign that warns patrons that this production contains adult language and many books.  I’ve found heaven.  At first, I was a little worried that the books they referenced would be books I hadn’t read and didn’t know anything about.  Luckily, it just so happens that all of the books they discussed at length were ones I had been assigned as an undergrad, even Rubyfruit Jungle, believe it or not!
                I don’t think I’ve ever before seen a play which only had two actors, and these two were phenomenal.  I was engaged for every single second they were onstage.  I cared so much about the characters, and even more, I was developing all kinds of ideas and theories about the characters and the story as the play went on.  I was in full-on “English major mode” and loving it!  I don’t want to ruin the plot for anyone, but I will say that I have some well-developed theories about the role of Rubyfruit Jungle in the play and why I think that literary allusion is, in fact, far more significant than any of the high-brow English literature which Rita studies.  Especially since Frank, her tutor, reads (and enjoys) the Rita Mae Brown novel.  I’d love to just sit down over a cup of tea and just talk about the play for hours.
                That’s why I’m so glad that I attended the talk-back afterward.  It was so wonderful to be around people who cared as much about the play as I did and had the chance to talk about it!  Needless to say, I’m buying a season pass for the rest of the season, and I’m getting all my tickets on the day of the talk-backs!  If you’ve never attended an event like that, do it now!  It was so rewarding.
                I’ve been rambling.  But amazing theater does that to me.  I think the American Theatre Wing was right on the money picking the Triad Stage as one of America’s most promising theaters!

1 comment:

  1. Just found your website and we should be friends! I also love the theatre and work for PlayMakers in Chapel Hill. I blog at www.theatrenorthcarolina.com and www.broadwayworld.com. Hit me up sometime and we can talk theatre! shane@shanedhudson.com

    ReplyDelete