Saturday, March 27, 2010

Why I Like to Go to the Theater by Myself

        Unless I go with my parents (because they pay for the tickets – and because I love them), I generally attend theater performances alone.  I like it that way.
         It’s hard to find people in my life who really get how I feel about theater.  My dad sort of gets it, my mom just wants me to be happy, and my best friend tries to understand, although she thinks it’s silly that I’ve seen Spring Awakening four times.  I wish I could see it forty times.  Yes, there are some people in my life who get it, but they don’t live near me.  Plus, there are a lot of benefits to seeing a show as a single.
         When I see a show, I get there early (this isn’t limited to shows – I’m habitually early to everything), and I take in the atmosphere:  the people gathering, the theater-goers chatting, the stage before the actors step out, the general ambiance of the theater.  I love to look around the theater and get mentally prepared for a live stage performance.  I stay in my seat from the moment I get to it until I stand for curtain call (even through intermission).  During the show, I have nothing to distract me.  I am able to focus completely on what’s going on around me.  I’m not tempted to comment to the stranger next to me, the way I might be if it were my friend.  Not that I necessarily would make that comment, since that would be rude, but the temptation would be there and it would distract me from enjoying the show to its fullest.  I also don’t have to worry about anybody talking to me during the show.  I don’t like to shush my friends, but I will if they talk to me during a show.
            The only bad thing about going it alone is that I never feel bad about hogging the armrest if the seat next to me is occupied by my friend or parent.  I tend to keep my elbows in when I sit next to strangers.  But other than that, I truly prefer to go solo.
       Any other solo theater-goers out there?

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see why going solo can be a really great and interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete